Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Destination Delicious!

My good friend, Connie, found a book at our library called "Kids' Cakes from the Whimsical Bakehouse" (Hansen).  Connie is the most wonderfully inventive cook herself, and is always trying new dishes from ingredients fresh from her garden.  Where she gets the energy I don't know, but her friends and family have sure benefitted from it! 


Back to the book - Connie graciously let me borrow it, and some of the recipes looked so good, I couldn't wait to try them.   One recipe that particularly caught my eye was called "Hybrid Cupcakes" which is basically a chocolate cupcake with a chocolate cheesecake filling.


It isn't your low cal dessert with the sour cream, butter, heavy cream, cream cheese and chocolate everywhere you look, and it certainly isn't the fastest cupcake to put together, but it is SO worth it!  


When baked, they look like the surface of the moon with all their craters, so I finished them off with a crater-disguising topping of vanilla buttercream frosting, drizzled with some more chocolate.  All that chocolate creaminess was screaming out for a raspberry garnish.  I think I have found my favorite cupcake.


We just HAD to share these decadent delights with Connie and Jim, and they were perfect to help celebrate a birthday, a softball game AND a college baseball game.  (Both teams won - - coincidence?)


It goes without saying that these rich little cakes disappeared fast.  Lucky for me, because I could have happily stowed myself in a quiet corner and eaten the chocolately goodness all by myself.
And thank you, Connie, for thinking of me.   You were responsible for putting a lot of smiles all over this Coastal town!

No comments:

Post a Comment