Saturday, October 23, 2010

Deep in the Heart of Texas


I "met" the nicest lady through the blog a few weeks ago.  She was planning a wedding shower for her soon-to-be daughter-in-law, and was making arrangements early, down to the very last detail.  She contacted XOXO Cookies about making some party favors.  She knew exactly what she wanted - something simple and classy, with just a hint of the bride's colors - a lemon yellow and an avocado green.  We exchanged emails and then spoke on the phone, and we came up with these fashionable cookies.  All white dresses, tied with a trio of yellow, green and ivory ribbons.  Lovely.  


The shower was in Texas.  And Texas is a BIG state (just ask any Texan!).    And cookies traveling to Texas could have gotten lost, which is why we always ask for a return receipt when shipping.  Only this time, the return receipt request was forgotten!   

Now my new friend had informed me that she was going to be out of town the week prior to the shower.  She was going to have her son check for delivery, and take them out of the hot Texas sun, keeping them secure and safe until the shower the following day.   But I know how busy a young man can get prior to his wedding, with all those honey-do lists from his sweet bride.   So it seemed conceivable to me, that this young man may just forget to check on the cookies.  


And that's when I became Mom the Worry-Wart, a title I have earned honestly.  So, what if some wild beastie parked himself on her front porch and decided to investigate the box?  (I have heard that armadillos like cookies.)   What if, what if...?  My mind went wild as the day of the shower came and went, and I heard nothing from my new pen-pal Mary.   "It's just not like her!" I remarked to Kimi.   ...Unless something terrible happened and she was too kind to tell me!     Kimi tried to reassure me that the cookies were packaged well, that the shipping was guaranteed, but I was inconsolable.   Then I put myself in Mary's shoes.  Just back from a trip.  Organizing a party.  Okay, I relaxed and went on to our next project.   (But secretly, I continued to check our in-box.)


And several days later, I got what I wanted.  Good news!  I received the most gracious note from Mary, describing what a beautiful day it was on Lake Austin.  I have never seen Lake Austin, but I imagined the setting sun she described and I wanted to be there.   White tablecloths, yellow flowers and her good china set the stage, and the dresses arrived safe and sound.   It sounds like Granddaughter Samantha especially enjoyed them, which makes us smile.

Thank you Mary, for allowing XOXO Cookies to make this Texas bride's day special.   And if you have any pictures of Lake Austin, we'd love to see them.  I promise not to panic if it takes a while - - I know you are one busy Mom right now.  :-)

p.s.  Mary did e-mail me some pictures of the special day and is graciously allowing me to share them with you.  I enjoyed seeing where our little creations spent their day and hope that you do, too!  Thank you Mary.  My apologies for not figuring out the slide show feature earlier.  As it turns out, I discovered that Smilebox (an old friend of mine) makes it SO easy!    Enjoy -

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Free slideshow created with Smilebox



No comments:

Post a Comment