Wednesday, October 27, 2010

October Memories

Today was "High Five Friday," a term I learned from my son-in-law (Note:  I strongly dislike the reference "in law."  I would prefer to stop at "son," but then confusion results, explanation follows, and I usually forget what I was going to say.  I wish someone would come up with a better term for a person who joins a family via love rather than from the womb.  End of rant).  Now... where was I? 

I spent today trying desperately to unwind from my previous hectic month.  It's been a challenging summer and early Fall at my office, but we can see light at the end of the tunnel and I took my High Five Friday off!   I browsed the shelves at my favorite local gift shop and put myself in the holiday mood.  I thumbed through my magazines, searching for inspiring recipes and colorful displays.  I looked forward to Thanksgiving, and I looked back at photos of previous Autumn seasons.  We have no cookie orders this week, so I thought I would share some of my memories of past Octobers.  


Kimi and I spent an adventurous week exploring the east coast a few years ago and enjoying the beautiful fall colors.  We found these trees in Maine.  I find myself attracted to groups of three ~ coincidentally we were blessed with three daughters.    The green, gold and red leaves intrigued me.   Three sisters, three trees ~ all at different stages, each beautiful in their own right, and yet standing together.  Pretty cool.


We couldn't travel the east coast without paying tribute to one of the grand lighthouses.


So my son, referenced above, is a never-say-die Red Sox fan, and by association, we have joined the ranks.  We had to snap a picture of this box of "Green Monster Mint" ice cream especially for him. Check out the li'l chocolate mint socks!   When you travel through Mass, you can't help feel the pride the Sox fans feel for their team.  


On to Vermont, and this little lady caught my heart.  How can you resist that face?  I could have spent hours on this multi-generational, family run dairy farm.  "Grandpa" was so friendly and his welcoming style reminded me of my own dad.   Kimi had to pull me away from this farm and was only successful after suggesting we tour the Ben and Jerry's ice cream factory down the road!  


One of Vermont's many covered bridges.  Amazing to see the way they were built. 


Fast forward a year - Kimi's October wedding inspired this creation of Cinderella's coach.  This was the cutest thing!  Once again, the Hubster came through using his collections of miscellaneous junk from his workshop.  Check out the clever use of these hinges (windows and steps), the lamp finial top, and even a horseshoe door! 


What's a wedding without XOXO Cookies?  Surely you jest ~



A photo album of October wouldn't be complete without a costume or two.  Kiska the wonder dog loves to model.  Her master takes great creative liberty over what she wears, and Kiska doesn't always agree, but she always cooperates.  It was an especially blustery day as she sported this striped muffler.  Shades of Piglet, don't you think?



Hmmm... Care Bear?  Really?!


Happy October to all our friends, even the two-legged ones!  

No comments:

Post a Comment