Monday, December 27, 2010

Lovin' from the Oven

What's a cookie artist to do at Christmas if not design cookies for her family and friends.  The problem I often have, is to narrow my focus to a limited number of designs.  Although more efficient and less time-consuming, it just isn't as fun!

I can look at a blank cookie canvas for quite some time before I finally get the nerve to apply any frosting.   But once I get started, I can get into a zone, and then my ideas exceed my energy levels.

Such was the case with my Christmas cookie gift project.  I planned to create some pine trees and snowflakes (the classic favorites), and then add some Christmas lights and winter mittens to the mix.



Then I remembered that I wanted to try a new technique for creating words from cookies.  So I added that to my list of designs, too.  Oh wait.  I have to get over my fear of making a new and improved gingerbread boy and girl.  So I added those to my list, too.  And I have had a moose and bear cookie cutter for over a year, and haven't tried them yet, so I better do those while I'm at it.  What's two more designs?!



I'll tell you what it is.... it's a whole lotta time.  In December.  When there is already a LOT to do.  But as I was creating the little gingerbread house for our realtor friend, Brian (add another design to the list), I couldn't keep myself from adding a little snow, and then some shutters, and pretty soon another hour had passed.

And I got over my fear of making a boring gingerbread man/girl duo!  I had SO much fun making these little creations - I might as well have been playing paper dolls.  It really is hard to stop, but when your three kids show up and wonder if Santa is ever going to get started on shopping for stocking stuffers, I knew I had to close up shop.   At least until the stores close for the last time before Christmas morning!


There's always tomorrow, right?  Technically, I have all day Christmas day to finish these up and deliver them. And that's exactly what I did.








No comments:

Post a Comment